Posted December 21, 2018 14:02:47Police say a 43-year-old man has died after a fire at a Melbourne house, which was started by a family member.
Key points:Neighbours say it’s the second house fire in the last three years in the CBDNeighbors say the fire broke out in a bedroom, where they believed the man’s father was sleeping, and his mother was sleeping at homeThe man was rushed to the Royal Melbourne Hospital, where he later diedThe man’s sister, who was at the house when the fire started, said the father’s family had been asleep when it happened.
“My brother had been at the back door when it was set,” she said.
“He heard the fire alarm go off and went out to the front door and saw that his brother was outside.”
Police have charged a 40-year old man with manslaughter.
Neighbour Kristy Jones said she saw the family’s two children, aged six and eight, on the front steps of the house as the blaze erupted.
“I saw my daughter standing there, and she was on the porch, she was like, ‘Oh my God!’,” she said, describing the scene as chaotic.
“It was very, very chaotic, very, like you didn’t know what was going on.”
Police say the man was found unconscious and taken to the hospital.
“The man had been on fire for several minutes,” Major General Simon Hargreaves said.
He was later pronounced dead at the scene.
Neighbour Nicole Burdick said her son was “a really nice, quiet, quiet person” who lived at the nearby house.
“His mother was just there, she lived on the same street,” she told 7.30.
“She was there when they lost her mum.”
So we just don’t know how he’s going to be missed.”‘
It’s very hard to imagine’: Family members’ accountA police statement said they were investigating the cause of the fire and urged anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers.
Topics:police,death,victoria-6722,melbourne-3000More stories from Victoria